The Gretsch G5420TG-OS 50S LTD is a Single-Cut, Hollow Body Electric Guitar with Bigsby. It’s adorned with an Orange Stain finish and Gold Hardware enforcing its indisputable DNA. Anyone who has ever wished for a Gretsch Hollow Body Electric Guitar has probably lusted after an orange G5420TG with a Bigsby; they will realize their wishes with this beautiful guitar. The Gretsch G5420TG-OS 50S LTD is part of the Gretsch Electromatic range, which is about the middle of the entire Gretsch range.
Gretsch G5420TG-OS 50S LTD review
- 1 Gretsch G5420TG-OS 50S LTD review
- 1.1 Boasting that Gretsch twang.
- 1.2 The G5420TG-OS 50S LTD’s main features
- 1.3 Tonal controls
- 1.4 Gretsch G5420TG-OS 50S LTD | Features
- 1.5 Beyond the 50s period in time
- 1.6 Construction features
- 1.7 The pickups – Great tones
- 1.8 Beautiful appointments
- 1.9 Other fine features include a secured Adjusto-Matic™ bridge.
- 1.10 Tone quality
- 1.11 The body
- 1.12 The neck
- 1.13 Scale length
- 1.14 Strings
- 1.15 Bigsby® tremolo
- 1.16 G5420TG-OS 50S LTD Specifications
- 1.17 Pros
- 1.18 Cons
- 1.19 Verdict
- 1.20 More electric guitar reviews
Boasting that Gretsch twang.
The G5420TG-OS 50S LTD salutes the cherished hollow body guitars that first turned country, Rockabilly, and rock, worlds on its head. This guitar is a single-cutaway beauty with its oversized F-holes in the body and a beautiful arched maple top.
The G5420TG-OS 50S LTD’s main features
Furthermore, it boasts a rosewood fingerboard along with a maple neck. We love the neck; it’s slim and very comfortable; it’s a joy to use. The enlarged Pearloid Hump Block inlays and period-correct headstock add to the guitar’s visual beauty.
The Gretsch G5420TG features Gretsch’s famous Black Top Filter’Tron pickups for those classic tones. Additional tonal options can be enabled by using the three-way toggle on the guitar’s body. In addition, a master volume control with treble bleeds circuitry ensures getting the tone you want.
Also, there are individual volume controls for the neck pickups and bridge. The treble-bleed system allows highs to be still heard, even at low volumes.
The guitar boasts gold hardware which works well with the guitar’s orange color. Work the Bigsby B60 soft for subtle vibrato or even some wild reckless rockabilly rave-ups. Tuning is a breeze with vintage-style open-back tuners. The body hardware is a secured Adjusto-Matic bridge and a Graph Tech NuBone nut.
Gretsch G5420TG-OS 50S LTD | Features
- Arched Maple Top, Maple Back, and Sides, with an Aged White Body Binding with black/white/black Purfling.
- A “U” Shaped Maple neck with a 12″ Radius.
- Bigsby® Licensed B60G Tremolo Tailpiece.
- Black Top Filter’Tron™ Humbucking Pickups with beautiful Tortoise Inserts.
- Gold hardware.
- Graph Tech® – NuBone® nut.
- Early-50s Colour Co-ordinated Headstock.
- Master Volume Control which features a Treble Bleed Circuit.
- Pearloid Hump Block Inlays and a 22 Fret Rosewood Fretboard.
- Pinned Adjusto-Matic™ bridge.
- Three-ply Tortoise Pickguard.
- Vintage-style open-back tuning machines.
Beyond the 50s period in time
This Gretsch G5420TG-OS 50S LTD evokes the adored mid-’50s period of the Gretsch hollow-body guitars. It features Hump Block fretboard inlays, large body-color-matching headstock, and pickguard-matching pickup inserts.
The Gretsch G5420TG-OS 50S LTD is built with five-ply maple to the top, back, and sides. The guitar feels solid and is well made. It feels relatively light for a big guitar. The beautiful arched Maple top boasts sound-post bracing with oversized F-holes for astonishing acoustic breadth. The Maple neck and Rosewood fingerboard are appealing appointments that simply work on this guitar.
The pickups – Great tones
Resonant and alive, the G5420TG-OS 50S LTD is an entirely hollow construction with an honest Filter’Tron™ voice that explodes with a huge punch, clarity, and strong presence. As is the case with all Electromatic guitars, it offers the fearless and electrifying authenticity which has set Gretsch apart for providing classic rock ‘n’ roll guitars from the very start.
Gretsch has used the Black Top Filter’Tron pickups to offer a thundering, versatile sonic palette. This is a guitar that can take you right through a catalog of blues, classic jazz, and all the rock ‘n’ roll tones. Both pickups have matching tortoise inserts and a matching pickguard that adds a further touch of distinction.
This is a stunning guitar, the classic Beautiful Orange Stain finish, an early-’50s gorgeous enlarged headstock—Pearloid Hump Block inlays, and a magnificent tortoise pickguard. Furthermore, it has matching pickups with beautiful tortoise inserts and gold hardware, which collectively contribute to the guitar’s beauty.
Other fine features include a secured Adjusto-Matic™ bridge.
The Graph Tech® NuBone® nut, the G-arrow knobs along with a Bigsby® B60G tailpiece, and the hollow body all help to deliver that classic twang and thump.
This guitar is a Gretsch, with that famous Gretsch sound in spades. The guitar allows a variety of tones suitable for any genre of music.
The body is 5-Ply Laminated Maple, it’s strong and not overly heavy, which is in no small part because of its hollow body.
Gretsch G5420TG-OS 50S LTD neck profile is Standard “U” and feels slick and comfortable. The neck is fixed to the body using a dovetail joint. Its fretboard is made from Rosewood and is 43mm wide at the nut.
By the way, It’s effortless to play, which is at least partly because of its short-scale length at 24.6″ (625 mm).
The strings are Nickel-Plated Steel .011-.049 Gauges. They feel suitable for this guitar and its 24.6″ scale length.
A licensed Bibsby that makes a Grestsh a Gretsch.
G5420TG-OS 50S LTD Specifications
- Body Colour: Orange Stain.
- Body Material: 5-Ply Laminated Maple.
- Bridge Pickup: Black Top Filter’Tron™ with Tortoise Inserts.
- Bridge: Pinned Adjusto-Matic™.
- Control Knobs: G-Arrow.
- Country of Manufacture: Korea.
- Fret size: Medium Jumbo.
- Fretboard Material: Rosewood.
- Fretboard Position Markers: Pearloid Hump Block Inlays.
- Hardware Colour: Gold.
- Model No: G5420TG.
- Neck Finish: Gloss.
- Neck Pickup: Black Top Filter’Tron™ with Tortoise Inserts.
- Number of Frets: 22.
- Nut Material: Graph Tech® NuBone®.
- Nut Width: 1.685″ (42.8 mm).
- Pickguard: 3-Ply Tortoise with Gold Gretsch® Logo.
- Pickup Selection: Three Way Toggle Switch.
- Scale Length: 24.6″ (625 mm).
- Series: Limited Edition.
- SKU Code: 2506911512.
- Strings: Nickel Plated Steel .011-.049 Gauges.
- Tailpiece: Bigsby®-Licensed B60G Vibrato Tailpiece.
- The Body Finish: Gloss.
- The Fretboard Radius: R12″ (R305 mm)
- The Neck Profile: Standard “U.”
- Neck Material: Maple
- Tone Control: Master Tone.
- Tuning Machines: Vintage-Style Open-Back.
- Volume Controls: Volume 1 Neck PU, Volume 2 Bridge PU, Master Volume.
- A beautiful tone is suitable for a wide variety of musical genres.
- A stunning guitar with a flawless finish.
- Great guitar for playing Rockabilly or a broad range of musical styles.
- The G5420TG range is middle-priced in the full Gresch models and very affordable.
- The controls for this guitar allow the player to dial in the desired clean tones or growl as required.
- G5420TG-OS 50S LTD comes with appointments usually found on guitars that are twice the price of this one.
- Great value for money.
- It’s a prominent guitar under your arm, not uncomfortable, but it might not suit some.
- It does not ship with a gig bag or case. The case is sold separately.
- The G5420TG-OS 50S LTD, as described in the review, may be hard to find. However, Gretsch G5420TG is the same guitar less the special appointments found in the G5420TG-OS 50S LTD.
The G5420TG-OS 50S LTD guitar will not disappoint; it’s a lot of guitar for the money and should be on your new electric guitar shopping list. Our review is for the 50’s limited edition; it may prove challenging to find. However, In that case, consider the Gretsch G5420TG; it is the same guitar, less the special appointments.
More electric guitar reviews
See our other electric guitar reviews